What Is SEO?
When we ask ourselves What is SEO we can learn from all the past research done. Research tells us a lot. If we reflect on what we are doing we can often learn what we need to do. This blog post is going to be short and sweet. In order to answer the questions What Is SEO? You first need to understand how search engines like Google work.
Seo stands for search engine optimization. This describes a search engines job. A search engines job is to bring you the most relevant information when you do a search. Searches are done millions of times a day and it is a search engines job to bring the most relevant information back to the user.
Each search can and does bring up different results depending on the user, area, search term. So, to understand what SEO is you need to first understand how and what people are searching.
Know how search engines work & how people interact with them.
- A Search Engines primary job is to serve relevant results to their users. If you don’t get the results you are looking for you’ll go and use a different browser.
- The search engines use algorithms which help them evolute a website and page. This algorithm changes over time to make sure that your search results are not filled with spammy information. Many tactics that worked in 2004 can hurt your SEO today, for example, link farming
How Algorithms Work (The condensed version)
Algorithms comprise hundreds of variables. In the search marketing, they are referred to as ranking factors.
A few small things to know
- Websites compete for attention and placement in the search engines. Those with the knowledge can improve their website’s ranking will receive the benefits of increased traffic and visibility.
There are three types of search queries people generally make:
- Do Transactional buy a plane ticket or listen to a song.
- Know Informational such as the name of a band or the best restaurant in New York City.
- Go Navigation go to a particular place on the Internet, such as Facebook or the Homepage of Seymour Digital Media.
Knowing how the search engines work and how people search is the first step to understanding how people behave online and knowing how people behave online will help you understand the mechanics of SEO.
Each week, and month we will be writing more on SEO to help you understand how you can help yourself online. If you have questions or need help message us on our Seymour’s Facebook business page.